Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Balancing Out

Did I mention that I LOVE my 2nd period class? And though I'd never mention it to them or make comparisons to any of my classes, I love, love, LOVE them. Could it be because they are most always unfailingly polite, they make funny jokes, they do their work (mostly), and they laugh at all my corny jokes. We have a good groove/vibe going. It's a nice way to start my day.

Then there are my OTHER periods. For the most part they are lovable, but BOY do they try my patience and push my buttons and test me and make me work. Sometimes they can be such noodges (sp?). .... I need a "flip sign" that I can just refer to that includes the following statements:
"put your cell phone away"
"keep your head up"
"stop talking when I'm talking"
"yes, you have homework on a Friday"
"it may be hard, but you can do it" ....

But I guess that's their/my job .... their job is to test limits, and my job is to set limits.

So I guess it all evens out ..... I can fondly think of my 2nd period class when things are not going right in my other classes .....

On another note, .... I guess I have to make sure that I don't set the tone for a "dismal" class. Most of the times, I don't think I do, but maybe I should tape myself or keep it in the forefront of my consciousness when I'm teaching. Maybe I start the class with a "bitter" tone some times because I expect them to be "hard" and then maybe that just plays out .... who knows. I do know that when I went to my first quilting class this past weekend (tres fun), I started noticing how the teacher started things and presented herself and answered questions, etc.

I guess it's good to keep these things in mind (amongst the 50 million other things) while you aer teaching, to make sure that you are not a scrooge to be "gotten through", but you act/are/fake that you are happy to be there 100% of the time. Not phony, but genuinely or close to it .... or if you are not 100% thrilled, then at least put on a pleasant persona.

No comments:

Post a Comment