Saturday, May 20, 2006

End of Year Happy Dance

Can't stop the big smile on my face as I think that within a week I'll be able to sleep more than 6 hours a night, go to matinees, go to yoga every day if I choose, be a book reading glutton, ... Ahhhhh summer.

I was also "mean teacher" on Friday to my calculus classes (last Friday of their last full week). I was tired of handing out bonus points if they did the daily activities we did (with their hideous attitudes), and I certainly did not want them sitting around doing nothing for 50 minutes, so I taught them about the binomial theorem (which for this particular class is something they did not learn last year) and how it can be used to multiply out binomials to any integer power. Then I gave them a 1 question quiz at the end of the period. Sheesh, you should have heard the whining (only from a select rude few). But there I was with the grin on my face. As my fellow lunch duty teacher said later, "it's pay back time". Oh well, it's good for them, and it's useful information. And I had baked them cookies the night before.

In other news, if anyone wants a copy of the cross section project I did with my students, send me e-mail at math_mambo@yahoo.com (that's math_mambo ... in case it doesn't show up), and I'll send you a copy. It's basically what I handed out with some extra things I learned this first pass through. I certainly did not create the project, but I had fun doing it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I can relate. This is my afternoon PreCalculus class. They had questions on every single homework problem assigned. Took so long I didn't have time to pass out the extra credit. Oh well (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had those days. You wonder if anything you taught the day before got through.

    Ms. Cookie

    ReplyDelete