Saturday, March 04, 2006

Cutting (mid) Outcome

I quizzed all day Friday.

First period: 12 out of 21 were present, many, if not all seniors. We mentioned how disappointed we were with the "cutters" and what their consequences would be.

Second period: I had some 5th period students ask if they could come take the quiz early (3rd) ... I guess so they could skip out early. No.

Third period: 12 out of 21 were present. Most of the 9 absent were on legitimate outings (track, baseball, business contest...). Some that were there .... I knew were there partly because I was all stern about consequences that week. One girl had earlier begged me to take the quiz early (1st period) at one point and at another point had said she was spending the day with her mother. Hmmmm. Anyway, she showed up.

Fifth period: 100% attendance. Woo Hoo. 8 out of 8 :).

Last 2 periods? Most kiddies there. I know for a fact that some of the absentees were NOT on legitimate outings. I've been pondering consequences. Usually they have retests on all assessments (I know, but .... that's the culture). This time I'm leaning towards the following. Handing out a note when they return that says that if they can prove to me they were not cutting, then they can make up the quiz at no consequence. Otherwise, they've earned a zero, and can take the quiz (harder version?) and I'll average the 2 grades. I want to be fair to the students that did the right thing and showed up.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:23 PM

    I feel like if you cut, that's it. It's a zero. If you want to be fair to the kids that showed up, then don't reward those with even an option of taking a harder quiz. My kids know cuts = no make up. However, if there was a legit reason to miss class then that's a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:32 PM

    I agree with you. I'm halfway bowing to what seems to be the culture of "do anything to get the kids to pass" at our school. ... I settled it in my mind by knowing that the best the cutters could now do would be a 50%, and that's still going to bring their grades way down in the toilet since tests are weighted heavily.

    Ms. Cookie

    ReplyDelete