Thursday, September 26, 2013

Precalculus Matching Game...

Today my precalculus students were starting their journey of being able to quickly visualize the "special triangle" standard angles by matching 3 sets of things: angles in radians, angles in degrees, and graphical representation of the angle in standard position.

About 7 years ago or so I first did this activity. And in my most-likely last-minute planning that year, I didn't have baggies to store the 36 cards, so I made up something like this:


Okay, exactly this, because this is the actual "envelope" where the students would store their cards. I folded up a piece of scratch paper and bent in the sides and shoved the 36 colored cards in the packet. That year and that school I thought that kids would try to be "funny" and maybe take out one of the cards, so that the next class would not have a matching set. Who's the jerk cynical teacher that doesn't trust their students? ME!

Anyway, then it became a thing year to year and class period to class period that they would sign their name to the envelope. It was kind of fun to read over the names each year and see if I remembered the students.

Anyway, flash forward to this year. Different school from that first year, and about 7 or so years later. One student when she was signing the envelope said, "hey, my step-aunt's name is on here". I asked if she went to that school I taught at (since maybe it was just a similar name), and she said she did. Fun Coincidence! Or a case of .... look how old you are, you taught my aunt!

7 comments:

  1. I have not had time to blog any of the activities that I have been using but I really appreciated you sharing this matching activity.

    I made matching flashcards with 16 unit circle angles in degrees and radians and 8 sketches of the angle. I color coded each by type and laminated them for my T.As to cut out.

    Here is a link to the original flashcards prior to cutting: https://app.box.com/s/au8rv4x0r1e8a78lanw2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank's for your share in the post here, i like your information your info is bery nice ^___^
    Do you might also like obat herbal sakit tenggorokan, obat herbal kanker payudara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mentioned this post and Mr. Stahl's resource on my blog this week. Thanks http://ontariomath.blogspot.ca/2013/10/math-links-for-week-ending-oct-4-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I truly enjoyed studying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article offered by you is very useful for proper planning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing excellent informations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your website is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this site.

    ReplyDelete