Saturday, January 31, 2015

Dear Teenager...

Dear Teenager Cashiering at the Grocery Store,

First of all, congratulations on being responsible and earning some money while you are going to school. Yay you! Second of all, you are doing a pretty good job, mostly. 

But, you are making me sad for the state of things on two counts, okay, three ... probably more, but I will stop at three. First sadness, when you are talking to the other teen that is bagging the groceries while you are "helping" me, I feel like a non-person. I am in the way of your fun chatting event with my pesky food that is sliding along and being summed up and packed. There is enough anonymity and struggles in the world without having to feel invisible during everyday chores.

Second sadness, you are giving the group that is "teens in America" a bad name or a "kids these days!" moniker. I know you're probably pretty awesome since I teach others in your group, and I enjoy them immensely. You on the other hand are not attending to your job properly, and are helping add another item to the secret adult list of "why teens are poos". 

Final sadness, for now, most of you don't know how to make change. Math! Money! Please, please, PLEASE don't look at the register screen to make change on a $16.80 bill when I give you a $20 and a nickel. Maybe my sadness is more for the managers that have (not) trained you than you. You can do it! I know you can! 

Signed, 

Former Teen Grocery Cashier,  Former Movie Theater Cashier, and Current Adult/Teacher 

p.s. Thank you Ms. Dora at AMC all those years ago for teaching me how to make change.

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Important things you have pointed out here.

    www.broandsismathclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently went here for some corporate team building activities and right from the moment I walked in I was in awe and I can only hope my daddy dearest offers to pay for my birthday party here someday!

    ReplyDelete