Thursday, February 27, 2014

Vector! Vector!

You would have thought by the scrunched faces and cries of "this is harrrrrrrrrd" a bit ago, that I was slowly poisoning my students with math torture tools and stunting their growth. I had this "brilliant" idea that I wanted to tie their initial vector learning to video game programming. 

The first day went fine with notes and stickers and basics. Then the next day I thought they could self teach through a packet. It was "fine" except they were to make their own graphs/grids, and then the numbers weren't nice integers, then the estimation was doody, then ..... Drama in the math class! 

I always go back and forth with the, "they're bad at fractions and get worried about "wrong answers" if they're not integers, so I should have fractions in EVERY lesson" versus "Oy! New Topic! Hard enough. Let's not complicate it with fractions."

Anyway. Here is version three of a packet for teaching vectors. I don't know if it seemed to work well because they'd already had exposure, or if it was just effective on its own. I do know that I had to walk around the room and monitor errors and such.

Here is what we did with vectors today. I think in the future (after more torture), I would then give a mess of practice calculations with an answer bank to make it stick in their heads.











 

3 comments:

  1. Splendid, printable math sheets are very beneficial approach for kids.i think this one of the best platform for learning.We are providing Printable Math Sheets in USA.in which Practice Math Online, Practice Math Online, Online Math Practice, Math Practice Test, Basic Math Practice and many other facilities available on free of cost.Thanks for sharing this information.
    8th Grade Math Practice

    ReplyDelete
  2. prinismonshe-Chicago Alison Davis Download
    snipmentergse

    ReplyDelete