Monday, August 27, 2012

HWK HWK HWK

It sure was a fun first day back. We do a big assembly production to start the day, and there are lots of smiles and hugs and confusion and new kids and old kids and new teachers and oldies. We put out small fires and remember how to juggle a bazillion things in our head at the same time. We don't sleep well the night before. We worry about the students who haven't shown up and hope they're okay. We wrap up the day and start worrying about prepping again. Loved it.

I've decided to be picky about homework structure for all my math classes this year, so I'm handing them out this (copied in the obvious way to save paper):



They're going to tape it in their notebooks, and I'll make a poster and be a stickler. I liked the phrase: the final number is not your answer, the WHOLE PROCESS is your answer.

4 comments:

  1. I love your phrase: the final number is not your answer, the WHOLE PROCESS is your answer. I think I will just put that on every homework sheet I give out. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elissa. Here's to both our sets of kids digging out of the chicken scratch yard and doing some good communicating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot woot!! All that craziness and busy-ness and you ended with "Loved it." Awesome! I really emphasize doing work vertically also, pet peeve when I see otherwise. Cute handout!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Fawn. I hope your first day is JUST as filled with lots of good memories.

    ReplyDelete