Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Relationships....

School is in its third week, and now the lack of sleep is taking its toll (that bell .... it's tolling for me). Today I left "early" (6pm) and treated myself to frozen yogurt and Sudoku and bad guitar playing (from lack of practice and wonky strings). I'm a wee bit more revived, and I guess extra sleep will be the cherry on top.

I went to an NHS 2-day weekend workshop this past Saturday and Sunday, and hmmmmm. Now my co-sponsor and I know all the things we SHOULD have done last year :). That's okay, we kept hearing that the first year is a throw-away year in terms of how effective you are. There were sponsors there that had been at it for up to 30 years. We got tons of great ideas to implement this year (service project every month; little service projects; leadership skills; laws and handbooks and by-laws; ...).

There was one great speaker. He said several great things, but here were some that resonated with me:

* Don't wait for opportunities. Create opportunities.
* You're never going to be paid enough or have enough time. Create good perks for yourself in spite of that.
* Take 10% of the time you have and make someone else's day at work. Make them feel appreciated.
* Kids say thank you in ways without saying, "thank you" .... coming back to visit ... asking for your advice ... changing their behavior because of something you said ... hugs ...

Oh, where does that "relationships" thing come in? We have seniors for the 1st time this year, and BOY are they stressed. There have been tears and anger and wan looks. They're taking about 4 AP classes. They are dealing with adjusting to newness of new-to-the-school teachers. They're dealing with the fact that they'll be leaving home soon. They're dealing with applying to college.

I've tried to make time to just shoot the breeze with them (though I'm thinking of all the things I should be doing) .... people before paper ..... We did our "stress write" ... we made funny pictures of stressed out characters and stapled them to our bulletin board. .... It's GOING TO BE FINE.

2 comments:

  1. such a fantastic blog..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thank you so much for sharing this blog post. I'll be looking forward for your other posts as well. Just by reading your blog, I can say that you are such an awesome Math Tutor and I guess you can easily handle things without any pressure. Math Tutors like you are a necessity for our students nowadays. When they reach middle school, they are already afraid of Math because of so many reasons. It's a good thing that there are Math Tutors like you who are always willing and open to help. Keep it up! By the way, you have such a nice page. I'll try to visit some other time. With the right tutors, the right environment and the right goals, every student can improve their current math skills. Mathnasium is here to help by offering flexible schedules to get your child the math help they need – when they need it.
    Math Tutors Hamilton MA

    ReplyDelete