Friday, April 03, 2015

Volumes of Known Cross Sections

Last unit of AP Calculus AB .... big (temporary) sigh of relief. I changed up how I am teaching it this year. I do a flipped class, but even so, in the last 2 years I was not flipping and then yapping at them in class. I can't think of why other than I didn't think through how I could flip it and still show them the 3D aspect of things. Then I got it and came up with this.

I made a template for them to take home:




This would allow them to cut various shapes in the right size. Then I "flipped" these 3 pages of notes:



See how the half circles pop up! That makes me so happy. Maybe you need a closer look:


And pages 3 and 4:



 Now they can have a "forever" reference to a 3D model and not just see it in class one time when we introduce it.



 Hopefully, this will lead to a clearer understanding in their heads.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:53 PM

    This is genius! Can't wait to try it with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:49 PM

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously love this! Maybe use sticky notes to print the templates on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:50 PM

    Thanks, Jennifer. Sticky notes? That would seem more convenient ... I want to see what the kids come back with next class ... and if this even useful to their general understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's an awesome idea - I find that kids have a really hard time visualizing this and having this in their notebook and that it just pops up - cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stumbled upon your website. I'm a writer myself writing for 1ws.com. Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tutorial or tutorial center is a big help in a any child. They help them to improve their abilities.

    ReplyDelete