Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Stick a Fork In It

I had a nice reminder yesterday that (obviously) our students are not finished products.

I don't know about you, but it's too easy for me to get some idea about a student (heck, let's just say a person), and then in my mind, BOING, that's my perception of them. So any time I see them in the future, that's a label or whatever that comes along for the ride while I'm having my interaction with the student/person.

News Flash. People change. Shocking! Right? And students change constantly. And students are influenced by people and events and occurrences around them. So this person/student that was a noodge or mean or ran with the "wrong crowd" or _________, may not be that person today. Or they may be, but that doesn't mean that your interactions with them or other people's dealings with them won't have a positive, cumulative effect for a future date. I shouldn't "write people off" or (sub)consciously treat them in a certain way because of something I know about them or heard about them because .... they are not finished products.

So that was a nice gentle wake up call to me (along with the good news about a student that WAS running with the wrong crowd but is now making visible steps to break free). See! I'm not a finished product either. Woot!

1 comment:

  1. I've had a similar revelation myself. This year I'm teaching Math and P.E., to some of the same students. Kids who are dead fish in one class just burst into life in the other. I still do worry about some of them being in the wrong crowd though...I guess there's always hope. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete