Friday, November 27, 2009

Music & Computer Work

Frequently my IED (engineering) class is on the computer all period working on the CAD program (Inventor). Several of the students daily ask me if they can listen to music while they work. I always say no. BUT it's "Pandora", they say, there's no talking, they say, it helps me concentrate, they say. Ms./Mr. So-And-So let's me in THEIR class, they say. No, I say.

I had a bunch of reasons all jumbled up in my brain, and I didn't sort it out as to the real reason I was such a grinch until the other day. Here's my main reason. More and more I see people in society all plugged in and earbudded into isolation and in their own little worlds not interacting with the people in the present and around them. I guess I want my students to see and be with the students around them at the current time and learn to interact with them - whether it's talking with them about what they're doing, chatting about various things, or learning to focus with the outside noise potentially disturbing them. You know, being part of our community.

And also because I'm a grinch.

8 comments:

  1. iTunes

    iTunes is a proprietary digital media player application, used for playing and organizing digital music and video files. The program is also an interface to manage the contents on Apple's popular iPod digital media players as well as the iPhone. Additionally, iTunes can connect to the iTunes Store via the Internet to purchase and download music, music videos, television shows, applications, iPod games, audiobooks, podcasts, feature length films and movie rentals (not available in all countries), and ringtones. It is also used to download applications for the iPhone and iPod touch running iPhone OS 2.0 or later.

    Hmm Good Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I liked the idea but I loved the title!


    Dissertation Help

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    It must've taken you a bit of time, so thanks for taking the time to do so, I appreciate it, and this post is just great.
    Coursework Help

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:01 AM

    Hi,
    Really nice post! Thanks for sharing such an informative article. Keep up the good work.


    Dissertation Help

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    That's a great info. Thanks for sharing, really like your view. I can see that you are putting a lot of time and effort into your blog. Keep posting the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    It was a very nice article! Just want to say thank you for the information you have shared. Just continue writing this kind of post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate it, and this resource is really useful for us. Thanks for sharing.
    assignment help
    assignment help australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    This is really great work. Thank you for sharing such a useful piece of information here in the blog.
    Assignment Service Provider
    Assignment Help and Writing Service
    Assignment Help UK

    ReplyDelete