Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Take 4

1st period/time through the spaghetti sine graphing activity:
me: read the instructions, they're clear, and you can follow them, and you'll be amazed at the results of graphing y = sin x without a calculator or ruler.
them: help. help. help. I don't get it. help. help.
me: running around helping everyone with the same questions over and over.

2nd period/time through the activity:
me: let me give you an overview of what you're doing here. overview. read the instructions, they're clear, you'll be great.
them: help. help.
me: running around helping.

3rd period/time through the activity:
me: here is a detailed overview with hand puppets and motions on the overhead of what you'll be doing. let me do it slowly and clearly. the instructions are VERY CLEAR. Read the instructions before you ask me any questions.
them: help.
me: I help. Class, ... so-and-so is now an expert on instruction 4. If you have questions on #4, ask so-and-so. ... So-&-so is an expert on instruction 5. Ask him/her.
them: so-and-so, help.
me: (nothing to do).

4th period/time through the activity:
me: (see 3rd time through) with the addition of: the instructions are VERRRRRRYYYYY clear. You'll be great. I expect great things from you. Did I mention that the instructions are clear? Here, look at my hand puppets.
them: help
me: (post-help) so-n-so is an expert on #4, etc. Ask so-and-so.
them: (scurrying over to student to get help)
me: (do dee do dee do ... nothing to do but walk around and watch them work)


oh! and a joke I read on You Tube:

What did "0" say to "8"? ..... "Nice belt".

No comments:

Post a Comment