Wednesday, November 09, 2005

One Liner Plus ...

In calculus we started talking about antiderivatives yesterday. One student said that it sounded like a vaccine and asked hopefully, "is that something that will make derivatives go away?"

After school I was writing a pass for a student for Wednesday morning, and I was working out what the date would be, so I started counting from Friday, whose date I knew by heart. In my mind I picture the 7 days of the week sort of making an elliptical loop with Saturday and Sunday at the bottom, so in the air, I was kind of pointing to the days and counting forward until I got to Wednesday. The student asked what I was doing, so I explained and then asked how he pictured the days of the week (straight line). That reminded me of my periodically-remembered quest to see if anyone else sees the days of the week in their mind as being in a loop or does everyone see them (if they do at all) in a straight line.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:57 AM

    I'm sick of TypePad
    Okay, I've had it. TypePad has been sluggish/down all morning for me and I think their grace period is over.
    Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to georgia highway construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like georgia highway construction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I see the days of the week at all. :(

    I'm trying to think, but I don't use my imagination at all, just my knowledge.

    Most people don't seem to realise there's a difference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the days of the week in a similar way but in my visual image, on the ellipse, Monday through Friday all fit on the top half going in a clockwise direction and Saturday and Sunday stretch out to fill the lower half. Interesting topic. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete