Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Communication Breakdown

Remember how I'm making all my algebra 2 PAP (!) students learn how to manipulate fractions (simple adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing) ... and if they don't get all 4 problems correct on the quiz, they have to keep retaking it (new version) until they do? Well, today was one of those days where it was convenient for the kids, one at a time, to step right outside the classroom and take the short quiz while everyone else was working on other practice (simplifying rational expressions, yea). Of my 3 periods, I had numerous retakes for the first 2 periods, so to make it fair, I tore up paper into about 1.5" x 1.5" square pieces (size IS important in this story :) ), and write their names on it and fold really small and then I would pick names one at a time to determine order of quiz taking. .... The quiz is on a 1/2 sheet of paper (8.5" x 5.5").

Well. During my 3rd session of doing this, I went into my spiel about how they should raise their hands if they want to retake the quiz, and I proceeded to pass out the small "name" strips and as I'm doing this, I realize that there are only 2 people who want to take the quiz. So I forgo collecting the little bits of "name" paper, and I just call this one girl out to the hall and give her the quiz.

She's out there for a while and finally she knocks on the door to indicate she's done. She hands me back the BLANK quiz, and she has all her (4) answers and work shown on that 1.5" x 1.5" of paper. I looked at her in question, and she said she thought I wanted her to do her quiz on that paper and that's why I gave it to her. Boy did we both have a laugh. (She's ESL and polite, by the way).

That was a nice comic relief to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment