Disclaimer, hope you are sitting down for this shocking piece of information, but I'm a 50 year old whitey and I don't know my rap music history/musicians/themes. And yet, still the best movie.
Here are some life skills that were phenomenally shown in SOC:
- Just because someone seems like they know what's good for you and how you should live your life, that doesn't mean they are right, even if they love you.
- Friends are important. If they screw up and hurt you, be willing to get past it and keep them close.
- People in power that don't do the work are so tricky in finding ways to make money off of your hard work.
- If you have a passion and talent, pursue it in some form, not just to make money, but to live your life fully.
- Movies are teaching tools and don't have to be preachy to teach(y). (like I said, I knew nothing going in, but I can discuss Dr. Dre and NWA and such with you now without a deer in the headlights look.)
- Be willing to stick to your guns about what's right and wrong.
- Even potty mouths (long live potty mouths) have something important to say.
- The path you are on now is not necessarily your path for the rest of your life.
- There are many ways of changing the world.