Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Five-Moment Memoir

I was reading my "O" magazine this morning on the treadmill, and an article by Sarah Beauchamp struck a nerve (can that happen in a good way?) ... maybe it's better to say the article "spoke to me" ... (not as in "hey, chubby, set the pace a little quicker on the treadmill", but as in "what a great idea you're reading about"). It was called "The Five-Moment Memoir". In it she wrote about how every day she committed herself to sifting through the highs and lows of her day and recording in her journal 5 moments of that day.

So ...

* Got a great idea while walk/jogging on the treadmill this morning in my on-going effort to be healthy and fit and strong.

* Had a funny conversation with a great student P. who for some reason I pretend to her face that she's evil and then she smirks her knowing smile at the joke and maybe banters back with a witty rejoinder.

* Had success in APCS with this in-class assignment that I pulled together last minute (like most days ... the "last minute" ... NOT the "success"), and students who otherwise are lost in class and cheat and such were calling me over to check their answers, and I put their work on the document camera as a "key" while saying whose paper it was:



* For once had NO students stay after school for tutoring, so I enjoyed some surprise free time to prep for the next day.

* Finally found a good book to read from the school library, and enjoyed a few minutes of relaxation in the evening enjoying each page.

3 comments:

  1. No fair, what was the book? Btw, great idea, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always hesitate to recommend books I'm reading because every practical pooping time the SECOND I recommend it, then the next time I go to read my book, it turns weird: there are graphic sex scenes (oh no, Shireen's a perv), it turns bad (oh no, why would she like THIS), I start to not like it (huhn?).

    Okay, I'm going out on a limb:

    Mr.Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore, by Robin Sloan.

    There, I did it. Now I can kiss this book goodbye for enjoyment :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Thanks for a "new blog" to put in my reader ....

    ReplyDelete