Friday, July 02, 2010

Programming Attempt

Well, I don't know if Excel will be the best tool for this, but I sure had fun making the following program. My vision is that eventually I can create several of these and put them on my class website for the kids to practice their skills. I know there are great practice tools on the web, and I do link to those. My thinking in creating this type of program is that the kids will see what I think is important for them to know.

Anyway, it looks like:



It's interactive and provides hints for the tester. When you open the Excel file, you have to enable the macros in order for it to work. Now I have to figure out how to create my Geometry Proof Excel "quizzes".

6 comments:

  1. Not sure if your school has access to it, but Mathematica comes to mind as something that would be quicker and slicker to do these in. There is a free reader for the files too I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we have a license, but I can check. Someone also mentioned GeoGebra which I keep meaning to learn.

    Ms. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea.

    Great checklist of topics to help kids do a self-assessment. It would be nice if you could randomize the numbers so kids can reload and check for themselves to see if they really got it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the randomizing idea ... I'll have to see what it takes programming-wise to make it happen. Yay! Another puzzle to work out.

    Ms. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr QBChk2:27 PM

    When I have introduced proofs, I have began with a sequence of cause and effect lines, so the students can see how one statment flows into the next, and so on.
    You can also use a multi-panel cartoon that the students have to organize in order. I like to have the students in groups and they can only describe what is on a panel and cannot show anyone else their panel, as each group places each panel in order, they need to be face down.
    Another old favorite is to have the students write down a description of making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, this helps the students see the need for including each and every step. Most of the time students forget to open a jar, use a knife to spread the PB, or even take the bread out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like both the comic cells and the sandwich making ideas. Nice start of proofs to see what things must be said/done before other things can happen.

    Ms. Cookie

    ReplyDelete