Pages

▼

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Addiction

Ackh! In the process of updating my homework website further, I thought I'd add a "games" link that showed some fun thinking/math/logic games. Well, of course I had to try them out to see what I was linking. .... Too many hours later, I'm addicted to 2 I found at http://www.coolmath-games.com/ : "walls logic" and "bloxorz". The first has you building diagonal walls on each of the tiles in a grid, and you can't form loops, and you have to follow "# of walls rules" for certain intersections. The second has 33 levels, and you basically move a brick around to get it in a hole. ... Okay, must stop playing and go do other things.

On a side note, as I was trying the new games, I found myself getting blurry eyed just reading all the instructions, and I just wanted to jump in and test the waters instead of reading about it. Hmmmm, sounds familiar. So now I'll try to think of each school lesson in a new way: how can the students get started right away doing something and then learning what they need to know about it at various stages of the class.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:45 PM

    ok, I got under 100,000. Addictive indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:42 PM

    I'm fixated on getting to level 33 in the other game. So far I'm at 19, so maybe before school starts I can end this thing ... and look at the "wall" time. I don't think I'm that fast.

    Ms. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:45 AM

    You are soooooooo terrible! I think bloxorz is the devil! I love love love it.

    (Wait, did I just basically say I love the devil?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:33 PM

    Thanks for the tip on Bloxorz. I tried it with my Grade 7's today and they loved it. They even went off and played it at lunchtime. Good reaction for an edutainment site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:41 PM

    Welllll, I don't know if you want to know this, but "gem swap 2" is also fun (plus others, but we won't go there).

    Excuse me while I go do some "research" on other games on the site.

    Ms. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  6. The observation about wanting to try the game before reading all the instructions is the interesting teaching point here. Walls Logic offers a quick action to test, then the no-loop rule gives that action a reason. A brief model of one move could keep movement and narration in a video cutout, so the explanation can sit alongside the grid while pupils try their own first move.

    ReplyDelete