Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Wonders of Seat Changes

In both my calculus classes, I started dreading teaching, because invariably - yap yap yap yap - basically from 1 to 2 boys, but it would affect the whole class in some way. In BC, I sat 2 smart boys together thinking they would work well together. Well, they REALLY worked well together. They started discussing the problems loudly while I was teaching. They would outdo each other to call out the answers really quickly before anyone else had a chance to think - regardless of my constant, "think to yourself quietly / wait 10 seconds before you answer / etc". And when I would speak to them separately, they replied, "but we're learning". They didn't think it bothered anyone else. After numerous complaints, I separated them. Peace. Learning. They still don't think they did anything wrong, regardless of my, "you're not being homeschooled / you're not giving others a chance to learn" comments.

In my other class, the class clown got 3 - 4 other boys yapping, and they're pretty funny (in a nonclassroom situation) and I do like them. However. NOT IN CLASS. Today I moved the clown to the back away from the other boys. Now he's around some studious girls, and for today at least. Whew.

I can put aside my dartboard with their pictures on it for now.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how that works? I tend to put off moving them too long, and I really should try that first, because it always works wonders (though the effect is sadly temporary!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:30 PM

    THAT's a fact :)

    Ms. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:59 AM

    generally I like to do this as part of a general reseating -- I am usually happy not to point a finger at one or two kids in particular (not to make them feel bad, but also, if they are attention-seeking, not to reward them).

    But, indeed, since my 3rd year (my first year without disasters), it has been a matter of finding the right seats -- and it's amazing how the right rearrangement affects class.

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete